Vice President and Director of Athletics
University of Texas Rio Grande Valley
Full Time - Experienced
Commensurate with experience
UTRGV seeks a self-motivated, dynamic, forward thinking, and experienced leader to direct a championship level Athletic Department. Reporting to the President of the University, the Vice President and Director of Athletics is responsible for providing leadership to plan, organize, direct and control the programs and activities for all areas of Intercollegiate Athletics, including, but not necessarily limited to, strategic planning, budgeting and development activities (including public relations and fund-raising responsibilities) necessary to achieve a successful athletic program and student-athlete academic excellence, and ensure compliance with University, Conference, and NCAA policies and regulations.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Responsible for the leadership, development, and management of a competitive and high quality Division I athletics program.
• Ensure the department operates within the mission of the University and in compliance with NCAA, Conference, and University rules and guidelines.
• Ensure and advance Department’s commitment to maximize the educational potential and well-being of all student-athletes.
• Strengthen all sports to be competitive at the championship level. Recruit, mentor, support, and supervise a diverse pool of strong, ethical, and talented coaches to foster success.
• Organize and supervise the entire Athletics staff and delegate specific responsibilities to ensure the efficient and productive operation of all administrative and operational business functions of the department.
• Provide strategic leadership toward goals related to competitiveness, student academic achievement, student-athlete experience, compliance, financial management, and event attendance that reflect the mission and values of the University as a whole.
• Be a visible university leader on campus and in the community and represent the University and Athletic Department to external constituents in a manner that demonstrates personal and professional integrity and promotes interests.
• Develop and oversee a fundraising plan for Athletics to achieve annual goals.
• Increase attendance at all sports and generate overall enthusiasm and excitement for Athletics across campus (among students, faculty and staff) and in the community (including donors and alumni).
• Encourage diversity and inclusion within the Athletic Department with regard to students, staff, administrators, and coaches.
• Collaborate with other departments on campus on various projects and work to improve relationships between Athletics and other departments on campus.
• Participate in planning, communication, and collaboration with the President as a member of the University’s Executive Council to ensure alignment between the goals of the Athletic Department with the University’s mission and goals.
• Perform related departmental duties as required.
The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (UTRGV), including a new School of Medicine, was created by the Texas Legislature in 2013 as the first major public research university, in the University of Texas System, of the 21st century. It is one university spanning four counties and multiple locations, with research and teaching sites throughout the Rio Grande Valley including; South Padre Island, Brownsville, Edinburg, McAllen, Harlingen, and Rio Grande City. With over 28,600 students from 62 different countries, and 1,576 total faculty, UTRGV is the second largest Hispanic-serving institution in the nation (87.9%), placing an emphasis on educating 21st-century leaders and professionals who are culturally fluent and have a deep understanding of the perspectives, languages, and values of different cultures.
UTRGV’s close proximity to the Gulf Coast provides unparalleled opportunities to study in areas ranging from international business and cultural border issues to marine biology and environmental science. UTRGV’s students find daily opportunities to innovate and collaborate with faculty and global leaders in industry, business, medicine, science, education, and technology. UTRGV’s facilities, such as the Coastal Studies Lab, Center for Biomedical Studies, Center for Excellence in STEM Education, and many others offer distinctive opportunities for student research. No matter what professional field students pursue, UTRGV has the experts, individualized instruction, the facilities, the real-world technology and training, and the industry connections to succeed.
As a member of the Western Athletic Conference, the UTRGV Athletic Department’s vision is to become an exemplary program of character, integrity, and respect; focusing on academic and athletic excellence. Sponsoring 16 NCAA, Division I athletic programs, UTRGV aspires to perform at the highest level of competition, becoming a nationally recognized program through graduating academically superior student-athletes and future leaders. UTRGV strives to become the leagues consistent representative in NCAA Post Season Tournaments, while becoming the leading marketing tool for the University through innovative, creative, and visible programs.
The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley invites letters of nomination, applications, or expressions of interest to be submitted to the search firm assisting the University. Confidential review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made. For full consideration, application materials should be submitted at Parker Executive Search’s website by June 26, 2019. For additional information please contact:
Daniel Parker, Vice President and Managing Director
Grant Higgison, Principal
DeLaina Sarden, Associate
firstname.lastname@example.org | email@example.com
Parker Executive Search
770-804-1996 ext. 118
The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. It is the policy of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to promote and ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or protected veteran status.