Director, Sports Operations
University of California, Berkeley
Full Time - Experienced
The Director, Sports Operations will provide direct support for Baseball, Men’s & Women’s Swimming, and Men’s & Women’s Water Polo, subject to change every year.
1. Coordinate Travel
• Liaise between sport coaches and Travel Coordinator to manage arrangements for team travel, including but not limited to hotel arrangements, ground transfer, practice facility approval, game credentials, itineraries, practice times, meals, etc. This includes travel for coaches, teams, recruits and officials.
• Develops itineraries and rooming lists and reconciles team expenses after travelling.
2. Team Administration
• Liaise between assigned sport coaches and various departmental and campus units i.e. Event Management, Facilities, Scheduling, Business Office, HR, Travel, Risk Management, Media Relations, Compliance, Marketing, Ticket Office, Development, Conference Services, Parking & Transportation.
• Coordinates outgoing communications for assigned sports to donors and alumni.
• Troubleshoot day-to-day operation issues that coaches may encounter.
• Collaborates with coach to coordinate recruiting activities, including managing recruiting database, mailings, and arrangements for official and unofficial visits, and recruiting gate list.
• Reconcile recruiting expenses after on and off-campus recruiting activities.
4. Game Day Management
• Includes all aspects of preparation for competitions, managing staff during the game, troubleshooting issues, reconciling expenses, etc.
• Collaborate with coaches to develop the finalized competition schedule and work with scheduling office to ensure that the appropriate facility is reserved.
• Prior to competition, communicates with visiting team about competition logistics.
• Coordinate player and coach ticket request list for home and away contests.
• Assist with stats and game management in home events, as needed.
5. Special Events: Special events include but are not limited to team banquets, pre-season games, donor events, tournaments, and post-season play.
• Negotiate, secure, and implement arrangements for special events including but not limited to, caterers, site inspections, travel, hotel arrangements, etc.
• Secure ground and equipment transfer, practice facility approval, site credentials, itineraries, etc.
• Manage communications surrounding team banquets and other special events.
• Collect payments from all banquet and event guests as required.
6. Department-Wide Projects/Initiatives
• Assist in the collection and submission of PE grades from assigned Head Coaches.
• Manages the Post Eligibility/Medically Ineligible student-athlete work program.
• Assists with the New Coaches Orientations.
• Troubleshoot issues with the web-based recruiting and communications software, JumpForward.
• Excellent organizational skills
• Excellent computer skills
• Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal
• The ability to manage multiple tasks, remain organized, deal with a heavy workload and prioritize work
• A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
• Ability to work some evenings and weekends
• Knowledge of all NCAA rules and regulations.
• Experience with web-based recruiting software, Jump Forward
• Minimum of 3 years of experience in intercollegiate athletic operations
• Experience with youth sport programs.
The Department of Intercollegiate Athletics consists of more than 275 staff members and coaches and sponsors 30 varsity sports programs. These 30 programs include more than 850 student-athletes who participate in the various sports programs annually within the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA). We are currently seeking a Director, Sports Operations who will work within the department’s Intercollegiate Services unit and assist various sports teams with their operational needs.
The University of California, Berkeley is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. This position has been designated as sensitive and may require a Criminal Background Check. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of a Criminal Background Check.
Apply online at http://jobs.berkeley.edu , indicating job #26898. Please include a cover letter, resume, and three references submitted as a single attachment with your application.