The next NCAA/Women Leaders in College Sports Executive Institute will be held July 2019.
The NCAA/Women Leaders in College Sports Executive Institute (EI) is an advanced professional development program for women in collegiate athletics administration.
To provide an inspiring learning experience that teaches executive leadership solutions with the intention of advancing high-level women athletic administrators to executive positions including directors of athletics, conference commissioners, or executive directors/CEOs within the next two to four years.
Attendees are chosen through a comprehensive selection process and those who qualify are invited to apply. Candidates are selected based on recommendations from the Women Leaders Board of Directors, Women Leaders Education & Professional Development Committee, and graduates of past NCAA/Women Leaders in College Sports Executive Institutes, as well as strength of application materials. In 2017, we introduced two separate tracks, a DI track and a DII/DIII track. Each of the two classes were limited to 12 participants.
Current Women Leaders member
- Experience and intention to become an athletic director or conference commissioner in the next two to four years
- Current position (with consideration given to varying organizational structures):
- Campus: Senior Associate AD-level or above
- Conference: Senior Associate Commissioner-level or above
- NCAA National Office: Director-level or above
- Minimum of 10-12 years intercollegiate athletics experience preferred
- Recognized or demonstrated ability to lead through any or all of the following:
- Current work role
- Successful completion of professional leadership program (i.e. Institute for Administrative Advancement, Leadership Enhancement Institute, NCAA Pathways)
- Skills and experience that will be considered include:
- Sport oversight (revenue sport preferred)
Development (i.e. Associate AD for Development)
- Coaching (previous or current)
- Senior Woman Administrator
- Internal operations (i.e. oversight of business, compliance, academics, facilities)
- External operations (i.e. oversight of marketing, fundraising)
- Staff supervision experience
- Service on senior leadership team
Future Event Information
The Executive Institute is held every other year, in "odd" years, and alternates with the Leadership Enhancement Institute, held in "even" years. The next Executive Institute will be held in July 2019 in Kansas City, Missouri.
Application information will be posted as it becomes available.If you are interested in supporting scholarships for future Executive Institute participants, donate here .
NCAA/Women Leaders in College Sports Executive Institute graduates have experienced very high advancement rates within intercollegiate athletics. From the 2011, 2013 and 2015 Executive Institute graduates, thirteen have become athletic directors.
Questions? Contact Lisa R. Thuer, email@example.com