Legislation and Governance Committee
The Legislation and Governance Committee analyzes, evaluates and disseminates national athletics governance legislation information, specifically those pieces pertaining to women, female student-athletes and the membership. The Legislation and Governance Committee consists of at least five active members. The Chair of the Legislation and Governance Committee is appointed by the President from among the current Board members. The President and Chief Executive Officer serve as ex-officio members.
Keeps abreast of NCAA, NAIA and NJCAA legislation issues pertaining to women, particularly in the division, conference, geographic location, etc. in which members are involved.
- Generates and reviews ideas on existing or proposed NCAA, NAIA and NJCAA legislation.
- Assists in development of the Women Leaders in College Sports position on NCAA, NAIA and NJCAA legislation.
- Presents pertinent NCAA, NAIA and NJCAA legislation of interest to the membership at the National Convention and NCAA Convention, as necessary.
- Keeps Women Leaders in College Sports membership involved/updated on legislation issues pertaining to women through: surveys, networking, Women Leaders newsletter, NACWAA website and Women Leaders ListServ (weekly update and special announcements).
- Works with coaches associations (WBCA, AVCA, etc.) and other pertinent groups to share information and input on legislation.
Qualifications for Committee Members
Excellent research and communications skills; interest in athletics governance legislation; good team organizational skills; and detail oriented.
Committee meetings of an hour each (frequency determined by chair). Other commitments may include: project execution and follow up, and attendance at events/meetings regarding athletic legislation.
2018 Committee Members
Committee Chair: Maggie McKinley, Executive Senior Associate AD/SWA, University of Cincinnati - DI FBS American Athletic Conference
Board Liaison: Julie Cromer Peoples, Senior Associate AD/SWA, University of Arkansas - DI FBS Southeastern Conference
Staff Liaison: Christina Turner, Chief of Staff
Kala Andrews, Associate AD/Compliance - University of Maryland, Baltimore County - DI America East Conference
- Molly Belden, Associate Commissioner for Compliance - NE-10 Conference - DII
- Meggan Dulude, Associate Director of Athletics/SWA - Saint Michael's College - DII NE-10 Conference
- Sarah Fraser, Deputy Director of Athletics - Quinnipiac University- DI Big East Conference
- Kari Johnson, Assistant Athletic Director for Compliance/Senior Woman Administrator - Central Washington University -DII Great Northwest Athletic Conference
- Brandi Guerinot, Associate Athletics Director for Compliance & Student-Athlete Success, Daemen College - DII East Coast Conference
- Paula Jackson, Assistant Athletic Director for Compliance & Student-Services/SWA, Hampton College - DI FCS Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference
- Jennifer Jacobs, Assistant Athletic Director/Assistant Volleyball Coach - Augsburg College - DIII Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference
- Karen Metzger, Assistant Director of Academics & Membership Affairs - NCAA
- Binh Nguyen, Associate Director of Academic and Membership Affairs - NCAA
- Jennifer Phillips, Associate Athletic Director for Compliance- James Madison University- DI FCS Colonial Athletic Association
- Heather Reinke, Assistant Athletic Director for Compliance & Student Development - Aurora University - DIII Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference
- Jody Sykes, Senior Associate Athletic Director/Chief Compliance Officer -University of Oregon - DI FBS Pac-12 Conference