Head Women's Basketball Coach/ Instructor in Physical Education
Claremont- Mudd- Scripps Athletics
Full Time - Experienced
Commensurate with experience
This position is responsible for head coaching responsibilities that include management of all facets of the women’s basketball program including but not limited to: coaching, teaching, recruiting, budget management, administration, scheduling of competitions, team travel, practice sessions, hiring and supervision of assistant coaches, and compliance with all applicable rules and regulations. Additional administrative responsibilities as assigned by the Director of CMS Athletics, Physical Education, and Recreation (Athletic Director).
The successful candidate will demonstrate an understanding and appreciation of the role of athletics in the liberal arts college curriculum, and the integration of the student-athlete and coaching staff into the overall educational experience offered at The Colleges.
Teaching responsibilities include instruction of physical education courses, which are required of students. Additional responsibilities will include department wide duties as assigned. This is a full-time, non-tenure track, athletic faculty appointment.
Reporting to the Athletic Director, the head women’s basketball coach works both independently and collaboratively to perform the following essential duties and responsibilities:
• Lead a competitive varsity women’s basketball program that promotes the values of leadership, scholarship, teamwork, discipline, commitment, resilience, positive sportsmanship, and high ethical standards.
• Recruit and retain academically qualified student-athletes to the highly selective liberal arts institutions of Claremont McKenna, Harvey Mudd and Scripps Colleges.
• Oversee all administrative aspects of the women’s basketball program. This includes, but is not limited to, budget management, prompt completion of all administrative paperwork, collaboration with CMS athletics staff in the areas of sports medicine, business operations, compliance, equipment, events, facilities, and recreation.
• Schedule all contests; work in concert with fellow CMS coaches and staff for scheduling and event management.
• Recruit and retain assistant coaches with values that are reflective of CMS Athletics.
• Mentor and develop coaching staff to serve the goals and expectations of the CMS athletic program.
• In collaboration with Athletic Administration, as well as staff at all three colleges, assist with building and maintaining relationships with alumni and other program supporters.
• Teach physical education courses in the required Physical Education program, engaging students outside the varsity teams in fitness and recreational activity classes.
• Engage as a faculty colleague with academic peers to promote Athletics as a significant co-curricular activity with important educational value.
• Represent CMS Athletic Department and the women’s basketball program at college events, faculty meetings, and in committee assignments for CMC, HMC or Scripps Colleges.
• Represent CMS Athletic Department and the women’s basketball program in a positive manner within the SCIAC as well as regionally and nationally.
A Bachelor's degree is required. A Master’s degree is preferred.
A minimum of 3 years of coaching experience required, preferably at the college/university level. Five or more years preferred.
The Joint CMS Athletics, Physical Education, and Recreation Program is comprised of student-athletes from Claremont McKenna, Harvey Mudd, and Scripps Colleges and offers a comprehensive program of regular physical education, intramural, recreational, club and varsity sports. CMS varsity teams compete in the Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SCIAC), as a member of NCAA Division III. The Program is comprised is 21 varsity sports (10 men’s, 11 women’s) and supports a student population of over 3,200 and a student-athlete population of approximately 530.
Apply online here!