Human Resources Assistant
University of California, Berkeley
Full Time - Entry Level
$50,000 - $60,000
This position assists with all general Human Resources and Payroll functions for the Athletics Department. This position exists to help in the transactional functions of HR and Payroll, including submitting updates to employee records, monitoring Payroll, coordinating hires, assisting employees with separating, and helping Athletics staff navigate University HR processes.
• Prepares and submits standardized payroll and HR requests/transactions, such as supervisor changes, employment contract changes, payment requests, coach performance bonus payments, etc. Review and monitor all requests for accuracy.
• Assist all internal units with the Campus recruitment and hiring process - preparing job descriptions, posting jobs on external websites, track recruitment process, assist in completion of hiring paperwork, submit all hire requests to Campus HR, create employment verification letters as needed.
• Initiate the separation process for employees - send tailored separation email, submit the separation request to Campus HR, assist employee in completion of all required separation steps, terminate them in all relevant internal databases.
• Serve as a resource for department staff for CalTime (online timekeeping system), including issues accessing the system, making correction to timecards, delegate requests, and setting up and auditing friendly names.
• Assist Director of HR with maintaining Athletic position management data through UC Path, including creation of new positions, setting up appropriate funding for positons, and changing position information.
• Coordinate the onboarding and completion of paperwork for all Athletics volunteers and affiliates. Submit all required paperwork to Regional Services for entry into UC Path.
• Prepares reports and analyses to include summaries of financial and payroll transactions, evaluation of current and proposed services, etc., for management review and decision-making. Participates in audits of internal records and processes and prepares recommendations for changes as needed. Conducts reconciliation of expenses to campus records. Monitors internal employee databases, including data entry, auditing, and reconciliation.
• Assist with processing of employment contracts, including collecting signatures, preparing contract cover sheets, and maintain department records. Serve as department back up for employment contract process, and may assist with drafting some employment contracts.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
• Human Resources and Payroll background/education or equivalent experience.
• Excellent computer skills and ability to work within Microsoft Office suite.
• Exceptional interpersonal communication skills, written and verbal, active listening, and critical thinking.
• Excellent customer service skills and ability to handle difficult situation and conversations.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks, remain organized, deal with a heavy workload, and prioritize work.
• Experience with budgets and financial reporting.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• High level of discretion and confidentiality.
• Experience with PeopleSoft and Kronos.
• Knowledge of University policies and procedures.
• Previous experience working with UC Path.
• Previous experience in the Human Resources field.
The Department of Intercollegiate Athletics consists of more than 275 staff members and coaches and sponsors 30 varsity sports programs. These 30 programs include more than 850 student-athletes who participate in the various sports programs annually within the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA). We are currently seeking a Human Resources Assistant who will work within the department’s Business & Finance unit.
The University of California, Berkeley is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. This position has been designated as sensitive and may require a Criminal Background Check. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of a Criminal Background Check.
Apply online at http://jobs.berkeley.edu, indicating job #27428. Please include a cover letter, resume, and three references submitted as a single attachment with your application.