Director of Athletics
Saint Xavier University
Full Time - Experienced
Bachelor's degree in Sports Administration, Public Administration, Business or related field
Saint Xavier University, the first Catholic university in Chicago, founded and sponsored by the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas, invites nominations and applications for the position of Director of Athletics (AD). The Director of Athletics coordinates and manages all athletic functions. The Director is a cabinet level position and reports directly to the President.
• Oversee the athletic operation and development of the varsity, club and intramural programs and all athletic facilities.
• Direct athletic programs and supervise coaching staff and other department employees, in accordance with University policies and applicable laws which includes but is not limited to the following: hiring, training, evaluating and appraising, and rewarding and disciplining in conjunction with the HR Department
• Lead the process for addressing complaints and resolving problems within the athletic programs.
• Provide strategic oversight and assist in formulating plans and policies and procedures governing athletic programs.
• Direct athletic programs and supervise coaching staff and other department employees, in accordance with University policies and applicable laws, which includes but is not limited to hiring, training, evaluating and appraising, and rewarding and disciplining in conjunction with the HR Department.
• Foster a culture that integrates and respects the University structure and authority
• Ensure coaches/athletes comply with national association and conference rules and regulations, which includes the certification of varsity teams.
• Oversee departmental administrative duties, including (but not limited to): insurance coverage; athletic training procedures; facility oversight and scheduling; team transportation and athletic vehicle maintenance; budget preparation/management; conference alignments; and compliance.
• Review and recommend candidates for coaching and support staff positions (athletic training, sports information, etc.), and oversee training for coaches and other employees.
• Appraise performance, provide feedback, and give guidance for all athletic personnel.
• Plan, assign and direct departmental duties and responsibilities.
• Partner with University Advancement and University Relations to fundraise and generate revenues.
• Implement appropriate strategies and programs to maximize revenue through fundraising, corporate partnerships, facility rentals and ticket revenues.
• Work in partnership with Enrollment Management team to formulate and manage the student-athlete enrollment plan which includes educating and providing oversight to the coaches and managing data collection and analysis of athletic enrollment, academic progress and retention.
• Ensure that all coaches work closely with the Office of Admissions to uphold the academic standards of the University.
• Supervise and coordinate with the Shannon Center manager and staff to ensure appropriate facilities use among all sports teams, Saint Xavier students, faculty, staff and the community.
• Promote ongoing, positive community relationships among the coaches, SID, and University Relations.
• Supervise the Compliance Officer and support staff so all required forms for student-athlete eligibility are handled in a timely manner. Act as liaison for Saint Xavier with the NAIA National Office on all student-athlete eligibility matters.
• Develop and update the student and staff handbooks.
• Complete annual reports that need to be filed with the conference, national association and the federal government.
• Coordinate student-athlete orientation and the programs for acknowledging the student athletic academic awards.
• Ensure the semi-annual Hall of Fame Ceremony remains a high priority.
• Represent Saint Xavier University in all CCAC and NAIA meetings.
• Ensure all coaches understand the commitment to the Champions of Character program as established by the NAIA.
• Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein and as may be assigned.
• Knowledge of principles of athletic administration; budgeting and personnel management; NAIA and CCAC and MSFC rules and regulations; Title IX compliance, gender equity and diversity.
• Strong leadership, management, accountability and team-building skills.
• Ability to think institutionally, and represent the athletics programs to the senior leadership team and understand the role of athletics within the University governance structure.
• Demonstrated commitment to execute strategic goals and mission with a university-first perspective and a customer-focused strategy.
• Ability to establish a clear and understandable vision for the Athletics Department and build the operational components to execute the vision.
• Experience directing, inspiring and motivating others, and measuring the performance and progress of people, teams and organizations.
• Ability to identify current and future challenges and propose and implement effective solutions.
• Successful leadership, negotiation and persuasion skills and a business acumen with the entrepreneurial ability to manage the economics of the athletic program.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills with an ability to effectively communicate and market to a variety of audiences both external and internal to SXU.
• Strong external relations skills and the ability to build partnerships within the community and generate revenue.
• Proven ability and/or high interest in and aptitude for fundraising and donor development.
• Commitment to promoting student-athletes' personal development, high academic achievement, and integration with and full participation in all aspects of University life.
• Commitment to excellence in academics and athletics and to assuring equity, and Title IX compliance; work to provide equal opportunities for students to participate in intercollegiate athletics in accordance with University rules and state and federal laws.
• Strong external skills and a proven track record of revenue generation.
• Affiliation and active engagement with professional organizations appropriate to the position.
Bachelor's degree in Sports Administration, Public Administration, Business or related field, plus six years of progressively responsible related work experience that includes a minimum of three years leading and/or supervising the work of others in higher education; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Strong commitment to the student-athlete experience and welfare. Master’s degree or equivalent is preferred with coaching experience as a plus.
The athletic program at Saint Xavier is made up of 19 varsity teams that compete within the National Association for Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA), the Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference (CCAC), and the Mid-States Football Association (MSFA).
The Cougars have seen success at the conference and national levels across nearly all sports, winning the 2011 NAIA Football National Championship. SXU has won two individual NAIA national championships, in track & field, and were NAIA national championship finalists in women’s basketball and softball in 2016. Saint Xavier have also claimed a total of 30 conference championships during the past eight years.
Saint Xavier’s athletic programs boast a collective GPA of 3.03 for the fall 2018 semester. A total of 43 student-athletes were named NAIA Scholar-Athletes for the 2018-19 academic year, and 73 were named to the CCAC All-Academic Team.
Interested applicants in this position should submit a cover letter, resume, and three (3) professional references into one pdf file in care of the Search Committee Chair and submit to SXUADsearch.ASC@gmail.com. Inquiries and questions about this position can be directed to Dr. Kurt Patberg, Senior Vice President of Athletics Staffing and Consultants, at kpatberg.ASC@gmail.com. Review of the applications will begin on June 17, 2019, and will continue until the position is filled, with the understanding that the start date for the selected candidate is flexible.